- Benefits of Labiaplasty
- Before & After Gallery
- Candidates of Labiaplasty
- Labiaplasty Recovery
- Labiaplasty Cost
Congenital causes, pregnancy, or childbirth may result in elongated labia minora, the lips that surround the vaginal opening. Women with prominent labia minora may experience pain during intercourse, bicycling, yoga or other activities. They may also be dissatisfied with the way that they look in and out of clothing.
Through labiaplasty, our doctors can resolve this condition for San Francisco women. This common surgery reduces the size of the labia minora so they are not as protruberant and it helps reduce the discomfort that patients may have lived with for years. Frequently excess skin around the clitoral hood is also removed so the entire area remains in balance.
The doctors of Plastic Surgery Associates are board-certified specialists and international leaders in labiaplasty procedures. They have published many articles and book chapters on labiaplasty treatment, trained plastic surgeons around the world in their techniques, and received professional awards for their work in this area. Learn more about what to expect in their care.
Benefits of Labiaplasty
Patients choose treatment with Plastic Surgery Associates for a variety of reasons:
- Enjoy pain-free intercourse. Friction during sex can cause painful tugging on the labial skin. Surgery can help this tugging or twisting, and can also improve a patient’s sexual experience.
- Participate in activities without discomfort. Horseback riding, riding a bicycle or a motorcycle can cause irritation for women with elongated labia. Labiaplasty can make these activities more comfortable.
- Wear a wider range of clothing. Women often feel self-conscious about how prominent their labia appear in bathing suits or yoga pants. Surgery frees them to choose whatever clothes they want.
- Have better self-confidence. Loose labial skin can give women a less aesthetic appearance. Many of our San Francisco patients choose treatment so that they can feel happier with the way they look.
Before & After Photos
Candidates for Labiaplasty
Women may want to consider labiaplasty if they are healthy enough for a procedure and if they are experiencing irritation or pain related to their labia minora.
Physical symptoms are not the only reason that patients choose to have the surgery, however. Appearance-related concerns are also common reasons that women decide to have treatment.
During an initial consultation, our doctors will take the time to learn about the symptoms that patients are experiencing. They will perform a physical examination, discuss the anatomy of the labia, and evaluate the factors that may be causing pain or discomfort.
Often, patients benefit from other procedures at the same time as labiaplasty, which only addresses the labial skin. These procedures include:
- Clitoral hood reduction, which revises the skin around the clitoris.
- Vaginoplasty, which tightens the interior walls of the vagina.
- Perineoplasty, which repairs damage to the area between the vagina and anus.
- Labia majoraplasty, which reduces the size of the labia majora (the hair bearing folds that enclose the labia minora), and can help with what is known as “camel toe.”
Labiaplasty Recovery in San Francisco
In most cases, patients can have labiaplasty performed under local anesthesia at our San Francisco practice. Our surgical facility is AAAASF-certified, a credential that demonstrates our commitment to the highest safety standards.
Patients can expect to return home on the same day as their procedure. Plastic Surgery Associates sees many out-of-town patients, and we are happy to help them coordinate travel and aftercare. We will typically see patients back in our office one week after surgery.
Most women who have labiaplasty with our practice say that the pain during their recovery is minimal. The individual experience depends on whether a patient has labiaplasty only or labiaplasty combined with another procedure, such as vaginoplasty. In general, our doctors recommend a few days of rest after surgery. Patients should also elevate the area to minimize swelling.
Labiaplasty Costs in San Francisco
The price of labiaplasty ranges from $5,000 to $10,000. Factors that affect the cost include:
- Whether the labiaplasty is done on one side for symmetry (unilaterally) or both sides (bilaterally).
- The areas addressed. For example, many women benefit from clitoral hood reduction during the labiaplasty surgery.
- Whether patients have vaginoplasty or perineoplasty at the same time as labiaplasty.
The result of surgery should be a more compact, youthful appearance. Patients should be able to enjoy intercourse and other activities without irritation or pain and should enjoy a better overall quality of life.
Explore options with labiaplasty by contacting Plastic Surgery Associates for an appointment. Reach us online or call our San Francisco office at (415) 278-7441.