Sagging inner vaginal lips, dryness, and loss of sexual sensation are some reasons that women choose vaginal rejuvenation. But what is the best age for it? We will explain whether you can be too young—or too old—to benefit from vaginal rejuvenation. We will also delve into facts about treatment options and their effectiveness.
What Is the Best Age for Vaginal Rejuvenation?
Most women who get vaginal rejuvenation are between ages 20 and 60. However, there is no specific age that is considered best for receiving treatment. Symptoms from vaginal issues affect women of all ages.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons published statistics that reveal U.S. surgeons perform 9,000 to 12,000 vaginal rejuvenation procedures each year for women in a broad age range. Regardless of your age, a board-certified plastic surgeon can help you decide if you can benefit from treatment during your consultation.
What About Vaginal Rejuvenation for Teens?
Vaginal rejuvenation during the teenage years is rare. A teenager’s body is still developing, and emotions, hormonal changes, and media images cause some teens to feel uncertain about their body image. Some complications can make vaginal rejuvenation during teenage years appropriate, including:
- Physical abnormalities – Congenital issues, disease, or infection can distort the vaginal lips or other areas, causing discomfort and pain that rejuvenation can relieve.
- Injury – Trauma to the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) or labia majora (outer vaginal lips) can create a need for surgical correction.
Teenagers may need counseling and guidance to determine when they are physically and emotionally ready for vaginal rejuvenation.
What Symptoms Can Vaginal Rejuvenation Improve?
You might be experiencing symptoms that can benefit from vaginal rejuvenation.
- Lack of lubrication during intercourse
- Painful intercourse
- Urine incontinence when you laugh, cough, or sneeze
- Long or oversized vaginal lips that pull or tug in tight clothing or during intercourse
- Involuntary vaginal contractions
How Does Vaginal Rejuvenation Work?
Vaginal rejuvenation works for women of all ages using surgical or non-surgical treatment. Treatment may relieve symptoms and achieve these results:
- Reshapes or resize vaginal lips and clitoral hood
- Relieves vaginal dryness
- Increases sensation during intercourse
- Tightens vaginal muscles
- Resolves involuntary urine leakage
- Minimizes or prevents chronic infections
- Tightens perineal muscles between your vagina and rectum
What Are the Options?
Vaginal rejuvenation includes both surgical and non-surgical procedures. Most surgical procedures are outpatient and performed with local anesthesia. Non-surgical procedures often do not require any anesthesia, but your surgeon may apply topical numbing cream.
Types Of Surgical Vaginal Rejuvenation
When performing labiaplasty, your plastic surgeon will resize and reshape the labia minora or inner vaginal lips. The surgeon may use either of these techniques:
- Trim procedure – Remove excessively droopy or enlarged tissue on the edges of the inner vaginal lips and stitch it.
- Wedge procedure – Locate the thickest portion of your inner vaginal lips and remove a pie-shaped section to keep the outer edges intact.
Clitoral Hood Reduction
During clitoral hood reduction, your surgeon will remove any excess skin folds around the clitoris. If you receive labiaplasty, your surgeon may recommend a clitoral hood reduction to complement your smaller vaginal lips.
Your surgeon will perform vaginoplasty with these steps:
- Remove a predetermined wedge of skin inside the vagina
- Use strong sutures to unite and tighten separated vaginal tissue
- Trim away any excess on the outer vaginal skin
A perineoplasty affects the area between your vagina and rectum. During a perineoplasty, your surgeon will:
- Remove excess skin between your vagina and rectum
- Tighten the skin
- Tighten the perineum muscles beneath the skin
Non-Surgical Vaginal Rejuvenation
Plastic surgeons perform non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation using handheld devices and require a series of treatments scheduled over several months. The techniques have no downtime, and you can resume your normal activities.
Using the handpiece, your surgeon will apply the tip to release energy that penetrates layers of vaginal tissue. Radiofrequency energy has these benefits:
- Gently heats tissue
- Stimulates collagen proteins
- Tones and tightens vaginal muscles
Laser treatment does not penetrate tissue as deeply as radiofrequency, but it will stimulate new blood vessel growth and help restore vaginal walls.
Your surgeon will complete these steps:
- Apply topical anesthetic to your vaginal area
- Apply the laser to your inner and outer vagina
- Use the laser to make tiny scratches on your vaginal wall
Your surgeon will use the soundwave instrument to apply low-intensity soundwaves to your inner and outer vaginal lips.
Benefits of Soundwave Treatment
- Increases blood flow
- Stimulates nerves and blood vessels
- Promotes healthy tissue
G-spot treatment increases sensitivity in the erotic zone of the front vaginal wall.
Your surgeon will:
- Perform a quick exam to locate your G-spot
- Apply topical anesthetic
- Inject a hyaluronic-acid filler into the vaginal wall
You can do Kegel exercises at home with these steps:
- Tighten your pelvic floor muscles
- Hold the contraction for five seconds
- Relax for five seconds
- Repeat the exercise ten times, three times daily
- Gradually increase the number of seconds that you hold the muscle contractions, up to ten seconds
Is Vaginal Rejuvenation Effective?
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons and other sources publish study results that show vaginal rejuvenation is effective. Consider some examples:
- Labiaplasty – In a 2020 Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery article, a study showed that all women previously affected by labial tugging during intercourse or who felt less attractive reported that after the procedure, they were symptom-free. Of the 38 percent who experienced vaginal-lip exposure in a bathing suit, only 1.6 percent still had some exposure after surgery.
- Radiofrequency and laser treatment – Researchers reviewed 59 studies of more than 3,000 women treated for vaginal rejuvenation. The April 2021 issue of Dermatologic Surgery published research results, which note that “radiofrequency and laser are efficacious for the treatment of vaginal laxity and atrophy.”
Worry Less About Age and Request a Consultation Today
Do not let your age prevent you from scheduling a vaginal rejuvenation consultation. If you are experiencing discomfort, pain, or other symptoms that detract from your quality of life, a board-certified plastic surgeon can help. Schedule a consultation with Plastic Surgery Associates in San Francisco today.